Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Posole-Traveling Down Memory Lane- For Garrett

My son brought over a smoked pork butt for lunch that Liz had cooked the day before.
It was smoky and tender and made flavorful sandwiches.
It was delicious just as it was with the smoke ring throughout the pork.
We devoured much of it, but there were still  a lot of leftovers, 
so I suggested that I make Posole.
That suggestion was welcomed and heartily approved by my son.
 To a Midwesterner, what is posole?

It is Hominy Stew.
The next question,
What is hominy?

Hominy is basically dried corn that has been soaked in a mineral lime bath. 
This alkali process, known as nixtamalization, loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the kernels themselves. The process can cause the kernels to double in size, which is why hominy can look a little scary. Sometimes the lime is replaced with lye or wood ash for processing. 
Without hominy, you’d have no tortillas. 

More from the Huffington Post Hominy

Yes, I enjoyed making this today.  It brought back many memories.
I lived in New Mexico for several years, and that was where my son was born.
My mom bought me the New Mexico Cookin' book pictured below when she visited me in 1985.
The recipe in the little cookbook is authentic.
However, through the years I have changed the recipe just about every time I made this dish.
I experiment with various varieties of peppers.
Today, I used Poblano and Anaheim Peppers.
The stew turned out verde colored, so I added some tomatoes and ground chile to
make it a red hue.

My version of 
Moriarty Posole
(Hominy Stew)

My go to Mexican cookbook.

The original recipe with my original changes scribbled on the side.

My version of Posole.
Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs. pork
  • 6 cups water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 5 cans hominy
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4 or more cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tsp. ground oregano
  • 2 tsp. ground red chile
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 Poblano pepper
  • 1 Anaheim pepper
  • 1 tsp. gound cumin
  • 1 can diced tomatoes & green chiles




 Gather the ingredients:
Pork, salt, hominy, onion, garlic, ground oregano, chili powder, 
Ancho Chile pepper, fresh Anaheim pepper, Poblano pepper,
ground cumin , diced tomatoes with green chiles.

 I cubed the cooked smoked pork butt.

 Dice 1 medium onion.

Seed and remove the white membranes of 1 Poblano pepper.
Dice into uniform pieses.


 Brown the pork in a few tsps. of olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot.

 Seed and dice an Anaheim pepper.


 Mince a few cloves of garlic.


 Add to the soup pot.

 Cook until vegetables are softened.

 Add 6 cups of water.


 Add the drained cans of hominy.


 Add the spices, 1 tsp. ground cumin.

 1 tsp. Ancho Chile Pepper

 1 can diced tomatoes & green chiles.

 Add 2 tsp. chili powder.

 Cook and simmer until flavors are incorporated,
about 1/2 hour.
It just tastes better the longer it simmers.

When serving top with some corn chips.
Enjoy, Garrett!

No comments:

Post a Comment