Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gingerbread and Sugar Cutout Cookies

My "Lobsta" rolled out and cut out Christmas cookie.
This one is for you, Lyndie,
reminiscent of  Cape Cod.

You can't begin too soon to begin making cut out Christmas cookies.
When I was growing up, we started right after Thanksgiving and put them into the
freezer for "not-so-safe" keeping.
We would play pool in the basement (where the freezer was)
 and sample the cookies between shots.
Mom said that some years there weren't a lot left for Christmas.

I think I used the same recipe for the sugar and gingerbread cookies we used
when I was younger and learning how to make these.
I found it in the little plaid cookbook,
 Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.

This was a 3 day process for me.
I could call it an event.
I made the dough the first day.
I rolled out the dough, cut out the shapes, and baked them the second day.
The third day I frosted them and added decorations.

 This is the molasses dough that we be rolled out and cut into sugar-and-spicy,
 mouthwatering, frosted deliciousness.
Yes, they are that good.

Rolled Ginger Cookies
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3 teaspoons ground ginger, I used 3
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Cream shortening and sugar.  Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar.  Sift together dry ingredients; blend in.  Chill 3 hours.
Roll dough 1/8th inch thick on lightly floured surface.  Cut into shapes.  Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 5-6 minutes.  Cool slightly; remove to rack. Makes about 5 dozen.  Frost and decorate as desired.



I used my cookie cutters I collected from our trips.
They include a lobster, an armadillo, a dog, a peace sign, Thomas the Train, 
a steer head, 3 yoga poses, a cardinal, a reindeer, a hand, and the list goes on.

 This dough is perfect for rolling and cutting.









 My favorite sugar cookie recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 4 teaspoons milk
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.  Add egg and milk; beat until light and fluffy. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture.  Divide the dough in half.  Cover and chill at least one hour.
On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees about 8-10 minutes.  Cool slightly; remove. Makes about 3 dozen.
Frost and decorate as desired.
I used both a powdered sugar glaze and canned frosting.




Frost and decorate. 

Warrior II, Downward Dog, and Tree Yoga poses.


Cookies ready for the freezer.

 I hope they last until Christmas.


Gingerbread Cardinals.

Bake and share these with your family.
Start a tradition.

Merry Christmas as you celebrate 
the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

21 comments: