Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Pigs in Mud- Sarah's Groom's Cake for Matt

Merry  Christmas
Matt & Sarah

My niece, Sarah, married Matt on October 5th.  A beautiful outside wedding with a window of clear skies in an otherwise rainy day.  The rain washed everything and provided the perfect stage for a beautiful fall ceremony.


I had the honor of making the groom's cake for Sarah to give to Matt.
The perfect little cake for the groom.


Sarah saw this cake on line, and thought it would be just the right cake since Matt is a farmer at heart.
The recipe came from, Kit Kat: Pigs in Mud.  (www.finecraftguild.com)
I modified it to make it simpler.  It looks more complicated than it really is.

 I made a 9-inch layer cake from a packaged mix according to the directions on the box.

 When it was cool, I frosted the layers with a carton of ready-made chocolate frosting.

 I "glued" regular size Kit Kat bars onto the sides of the cake using frosting as a glue.

Then, I evened out the top of the cake adding more frosting up to the edges
of the candy bars to make the "mud pit" for the pigs.

 I made the pigs from marzipan.
Marzipan is a confection made of ground almonds or almond paste, egg whites, and sugar, often 
molded in decorative shapes.  I tinted the marzipan with red food coloring to make the pink color 
for the pigs.  It reminded me of play dough, when I was molding the shapes.


 The shapes are basically round balls, flattened slightly with holes and lines to look like 
feet, belly, and nostrils.



Place the shapes on top of the cake to make it look the the pigs are playing in the mud.

Tie the outside of the cake with ribbon to match the wedding colors.

Dane's cartoon of Piglet...2013

Wedding pictures...

Doug, Sarah, & Denise

 Sarah and Grandma

 Grandma, Sarah, and her Mom, Lisa


Graham, Dane, Spencer


 Sarah playing her violin for Matt & 
a special song for her grandmother,The Orange Blossom Special.

Congratulations. Wishing you a wonderful journey as you build 
your new life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment